The NPC Industrial Health Affairs Administration
One of the most important goals of large industries is to boost production and produce more high-quality products with an emphasis on health, safety and environmental issues. In other words, they seek to have a healthy workforce, who are protected against occupational accidents and diseases, and work in a pollution-free environment.
Attention to health, safety, and the environment has always been one of the general responsibilities of Iran’s National Petrochemical Company. Based on its organizational mission, the NPC aims to promote development for a better life, and seeks to create a safe and clean environment by eliminating all incidents and harmful effects on individuals, the environment and facilities. It also seeks to guarantee the production of high-quality products through improving production processes.
Human resources are considered to be the main developmental factor in any industry and therefore, protecting the personnel against workplace pollutants, especially in industries such as petrochemicals, is very important on the path to achieve goals and realize slogans such as "healthy human in the workplace" and "healthy human,axis of sustainable development."
To this end, the Industrial Health Affairs Administration of the National Petrochemical Company has formulated and enforced a set of workplace health rules in accordance with the operational conditions of petrochemical industries, taking into account the national and international requirements as well as the recruitment procedures. The NPC health administration has focused its attempts on the application of these rules in all petrochemical firms and has achieved significant success in this regard. The administration monitors their application through periodic audits and inspections, holding specialized training workshops for experts, and the provision of the necessary hardware facilities. The most important of these programs, based on the operational nature of petrochemical industries, are as follows:
• The annual holding of the Petrochemical Health Festival
• Monitoring the harmful factors and pollutants in the work environment
• Taking the necessary actions and performing follow-up measures to control workplace pollution
• Inspection and continuous health monitoring of all complexes and contractors based in petrochemical companies
• Continuous monitoring of the health level of the personnel working in complexes through periodic screening for occupational and non-occupational diseases.
• Promoting the health level of the employees and the culture of workplace hygiene
The Main Achievements of NPC Industrial Health Office:
1- Holding the 2nd Petrochemical Health Festival
2- Reviewing and publishing the second edition of the four-volume book titled “Work Health Requirements in the Petrochemical Industry.”
3- Recruiting and employing more than 150 specialist health professionals in petrochemical complexes
4. Providing more than 90% of the industrial hygiene units of petrochemical companies with the equipment required for monitoring procedures
5- Constructing and exploiting health engineering laboratories in Assaluyeh and Mahshahr
6- Performing more than 60 engineering control projects to control harmful factors in petrochemical companies
7- Monitoring the quality of drinking water by health engineering laboratories in Assaluyeh and Mahshahr
8. Continuous monitoring of occupational health by conducting industrial medical examinations for the personnel and contractors
9. Creating an organizational office for nutrition
10. Supervising, auditing and constant inspection of the implementation of the requirements of the programs on health, environment and nutrition and the follow-up of their implementation
11. Monitoring and measuring harmful factors in the work environment (chemical, physical and ergonomic) in all petrochemical companies and determining the exposure of staff to these factors
12. Formation of health committees in petrochemical companies and specialized committees for chemical and physical hazardous factors as well as the environmental health and nutrition with the aim of examining and resolving health problems
13. Holding specialized training courses in relation to work hygiene
14. Implementing research and administrative projects related to work hygiene
15. Holding programs for improving the health of the employees at petrochemical companies