The Environmental Affairs Department of Iran’s National Petrochemical Company
Iran’s National Petrochemical Company aims to increase the technical know-how and industrial self-sufficiency, create productive employment,discard the concept of mono-product industry and develop the petrochemical industry in order to achieve sustainable and comprehensive development with the slogan,"Endeavour, Creation and Growth". The NPC has, therefore,granted an important condition to environmental protection in its managerial decisions, as it believes that development without environmental protection is one-dimensional, unsustainable and incomplete.
To this end, the National Petrochemical Company will only build new units if their design enjoys technical, economic and environmental justification and incorporates all environmental and safety aspects. Process plants have also been implementing projects to improve their safety conditions and achieve national and international standards. This process will continue until a desirable level is achieved. The National Petrochemical Company is committed to the optimal use of resources and energy and respect for the rights of citizens, setting its ultimate goal to reach a Zero Discharge level.
Planning, implementing and controlling environmental activities in a comprehensive, integrated system, promoting the environmental culture, monitoring all activities in terms of controlling pollutants and their impacts on the environment and identifying corrective and preventive measures to limit the destructive effects of human activities on the environment.
1. Supervising the institutionalization of the environmental culture in the company and making attempts to achieve environmental goals
2. Establishing a process for identifying, analyzing, evaluating and controlling negative environmental impacts
3. Creating a waste management mechanism for the proper waste management
4. Establishing a mechanism for environmental assessment of projects in order to ensure the fulfillment of environmental requirements
5. Creating a change management mechanism to ensure that there are no harmful environmental effects in procedural and non-procedural changes
6. Providing and compiling the procedures and instructions required in the HSE system and monitoring their implementation
7. Auditing the environmental management system in the HSE managerial framework
8. Participating in the preparation of emergency plans and monitoring their pilot implementation
9. Collecting witness accounts for the primary review of environmental occurrences,submitting reports on their causes and offering suggestions
10. Creating a database of the accidents for statistical analysis and determining corrective and preventive measures
11. Supervising the process of providing complexes with control systems and measuring gas and water pollutants
12. Monitoring energy consumption to ensure that the principle of optimal consumption is observed
13. Supervising the environmental performance of contractors and presenting the necessary administrative procedures for reducing negative environmental effects
14. Monitoring all executive projects and reform processes in order to ensure the observance of environmental principles and requirements
15. Establishing a control and monitoring process for units to comply with environmental requirements and regulations
16. Evaluating the educational requirements of staff and apprentices, monitoring the education process, providing information on environmental issues and preventing the negative effects of harmful activities.
17. Offering advice on corrective and preventive measures and monitoring their timely and effective implementation
18. Supervising the creation and development of green space
19. Conducting research on modern technologies and updating the technologies used so far
20. Identifying and updating the laws, regulations and environmental requirements, and monitoring their implementation by the employees and contractors
21. Cooperating in the preparation and publication of environmental papers and newsletters, and organizing scientific seminars on HSE