NPC's Passive Defense and Emergency Management Affairs
The Passive Defense and Emergency Management Affairs was established in NPC in 2010 in order to secure and reduce the vulnerability to domestic and foreign threats and to secure petrochemical plants. As the series of civilian measures to increase deterrence, reduce vulnerability, implement necessary measures, promote national sustainability and facilitate crisis management against threats are defined within the framework of passive defense activities.
In the first step, NPC has classified the petrochemical complexes into three groups; critical, sensitive and important. The most important goals of this classification are to implement the approved procedures and requirements of the passive defense in process plants and petrochemical projects in accordance with the nature and situation of each company.
Passive defense approaches in petrochemical industry
- Cyber defense
- Chemical defense
- Biological defense
- Technical and engineering defense
- Radiation defense (radioactive protection)
- Economic defense
Impacts and results of passive defense
- Reducing vulnerability
- Increasing national sustainability
- Preparing against threats
- Facilitating crisis management
- Creating national interactions in emergency situations
- Producing defensive deterrence
- Generating sustainability and producing essential items
Macro Objective: Reducing vulnerability and losses, reducing damage to facilities, equipment and human resources at vital centers
Strategy: Improving and upgrading passive defense systems
Missions and the most important priorities of Passive Defense and Emergency Management Affairs in the petrochemical industry
- Visits, audits and evaluations
- Updating the rating and classification of petrochemical plants and complexes in terms of passive defense considerations.
- Running visit and audit programs to measure passive defense and emergency management preparedness.
- Evaluating and supervising national practices of passive defense in Mahshahr and Assaluyeh regions.
- Supervision and support
- Developing an organizational structure for passive defense emergency management departments and emergency management committees in petrochemical companies.
- Planning and supervising basic and conceptual studies of passive defense in petrochemical industry.
- High monitoring of the status of passive defense and emergency management in the projects under the supervision of NPC's Project Management and Production Management.
- Monitoring and anticipating passive defense considerations in new petrochemical development projects (Phase 2 of Mahshahr, Parsian Energy Intensive zone, Chabahar, Qeshm ...)
- Contribution and coordination
- Participating in the Passive Defense and Emergency Management Committee of the Ministry of Petroleum.
- Participating in and supporting university students' theses on passive defense issues and emergency management based on research needs-assessment.
- Participating in complaints investigation over HSE issues referred by governing institutions and petrochemical companies.
- Developing guidance and follow-up instructions
- Formulating requirements and guidelines for passive defense and emergency management of the petrochemical industry.
- Compiling and officially announcing the passive defense requirements for the complementary industries under construction in the country's special economic zones.
- Collaborating in drafting a strategic document for passive defense in the petroleum industry.
- Preparing a chemical passive defense plan for the country's petrochemical industry.
- Following up on the establishment of Emergency Management Centers in Mahshahr and Assaluyeh areas.
- Following up on the implementation of the Memorandum of Cooperation between the HSE General Directorate and the Ministry of Petroleum's Mobilization (Basij) Center in petrochemical industry.
- Following up on the implementation of activities and studies of the passive defense of the West Ethylene Pipeline.
- Following up on the provision of facilities and arrangements for relief and evacuation operations at roads and access routes to complexes and companies in emergencies.
- Following up on the promotion of the reliability of the centralized firefighting water supply in Mahshahr and Assaluyeh refions.
- Knowledge-sharing events for managers and experts
- Holding and supporting conferences and events in various fields of passive defense and emergency management in the framework of rules and regulations.
- Planning and conducting passive defense and emergency management courses and workshops on man-made and natural disasters in Tehran, Assaluyeh and Mahshahr.
- Creating and institutionalizing the passive defense theme by providing and distributing educational materials on passive defense and emergency management through electronic and paper brochures.